Please select a Make and Model
How to track your child’s location with your phone
12th March, 2021 |
Whether you love or loathe the idea of tracking your children, in our hectic and sometimes dangerous modern world it’s becoming a popular choice for many parents. Whether you want to keep a constant eye on your toddler or just want an added feeling of security when your teen is out there’s sure to be a way your phone can help. Read on to find out how.
Remember to always have the right mobile phone insurance in place to protect your device – if your phone is out of action then your tracker is, too!
Android Find My Device
Most modern Android phones now come with this app already installed. However, if your child as an older model then download the ‘Find My Device’ app from the Google Play Store.
Every time you want to check their phone’s location, simply open the app, and you’ll be taken to a dashboard showing the whereabouts of their phone. Indeed the interactive map enables you to locate the exact place where the device is. Great for identifying your child's device location.
While these options won’t necessarily help you track your child, the app also lets you:
- Play a loud sound through the phone to help you find it.
- Lock the phone so it can’t be used.
- Erase any data on the phone so no one can access it.
For this app to work your child’s phone must:
- Be on and signed in to Google.
- Be connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Be visible on Google Play.
- Have Location turned on.
- Have Find My Device turned on.
Family sharing and Apple Find My
If you both have iPhones, then this pre-installed app from Apple is really useful. It uses GPS to track the child's device and displays it on Apple Maps. Apart from your child’s location, it can also help you find your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch or AirPods by getting them to make a loud noise.
Perfect for helping you locate expensive accessories if they’ve gone walkabout. If something happens to your accessories at the same time as your phone then our mobile phone insurance will have you covered.
To begin you first need to set up Family Sharing:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your iCloud account banner at the top (with your name).
- Tap on Family Sharing.
- Choose Location Sharing.
- Select Invite Family Member, and then send an invitation through iMessage, in person, or create a new child account. You can invite up to six family members and create a family sharing group – great for large families.
Once this is done, you set up the Find My app by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app on the device you want to track.
- Tap the iCloud tab and enter the Apple ID password for that device.
- Tap on Find My iPhone.
- Toggle the Find My iPhone so it is On.
- Once Find My iPhone is turned on you can track the device through Family Sharing.
Life 360 app
Available on both Android and iOS this very popular app is described as a part-location, part-communication app designed to simplify staying connected with your close family members.
Essentially, you create your own private group and the app then lets you view everyone’s real-time locations on a map only you can see. It also sends real-time alerts to group members when anyone arrives or leaves certain destinations.
So, not only will it let you know where your children and family are but will also let them know when you are, too. A great way to stay connected without multiple ‘where are you?’ texts. What a relief!
While this isn’t a dedicated tracking app, it’s still a useful way to stay connected on a more ad-hoc basis. Google Maps has a feature that lets you and your child share your locations from just one hour to forever. Because it all works within Google Maps there’s no need to download extra software.
To set up and share locations on Google Maps then do the following:
- Open the Google Maps app on their phone.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Tap Location Sharing.
- Tap Get Started.
- Select how long to share their location. The shortest duration is one hour.
- Tap Select People to determine who can see their location. If you’re in their contacts, then you can select yourself.
- Tap Share.
- Now, whenever you open Google Maps on your phone it will show you the location of your child’s phone.
However, this is probably only useful for tracking a child for a short period, like if you go shopping together, as the constant broadcasting is a big drain on battery power. And you don’t want your child stuck with a flat battery when they need to call you!
Perfect for tracking younger children who won’t have a phone. This great-value GPS tracker easily clips to clothing or slips into a bag or pocket. Its features include:
- Lightweight (it’s as light as a house key).
- Long battery life lasting up to 7 days.
- A quick alert button so they can call for help.
- Personalised zones so the Curve alerts you if your child goes too far.
To track the device using your phone you’ll need a 12- or 24-month subscription to the Vodafone network.
Protect your family with mobile phone insurance from Gadget Cover
Protecting our children is our number one priority and our mobile phones can help us do just that.
With a policy from Gadget Cover, you can protect your devices from accidental damage, liquid damage, theft, breakdown and unauthorised usage.
And for an additional premium, policies can also cover your phones, tablets and smartwatches against loss.
Better yet, cover is also extended to your immediate family. So, if your child or partner loses or damages your phone you’re also covered!
Get a quick quote for mobile phone insurance today.
Policy benefits, features and discounts offered may very between insurance schemes or cover selected and are subject to underwriting criteria. Information contained within this article is accurate at the time of publishing but may be subject to change.