The Total Transparency Manifesto
With this document we aim to provide customers with a simple and clear document where everything is easily understandable. The use of insurance jargon will be kept to a minimum, but if there is anything you don’t understand, please refer to the “DEFINITIONS” section of your PolicyTerms and Conditions.
With this manifesto, we want to:
Explain all the key benefits and key exclusions of your insurance policy, to help you make an informed decision about your cover.
Ensure that our insurance product delivers to your expectations.
This document is intended to complement the Policy Terms and Conditions and Policy Key Facts. It does not substitute them in any way.
Our insurance policies are designed to protect against unforeseen occurrences. However, like all contracts, they are subject to certain terms, conditions and restrictions. To put it simply, if an insurer were to provide a policy covering every conceivable occurrence, the cost of that policy would rise to an unaffordable level. We have to have limitations in order to keep the number of fraudulent claims to an absolute minimum, thereby resulting in competitive prices for you.
About Your Gadget
- We insure basically any phone or gadget, whether it be SIM free, Pay as You Go or on a contract. All we ask that it has a Evidence of Ownership issued in the UK. This can be a copy of your receipt, a gift receipt (provided you are in possession of it), a delivery note or in the case of a mobile phone, a confirmation from your network provider of the phone you have in use on your contract stating your name, date of purchase and it’s IMEI number.
- It needs to be under 18 months old when you first take the insurance
- It needs to be purchased as new. We don’t insure second hand or refurbished gadgets except those refurbished ones which were purchased directly from the manufacturer, eg. Apple or Samsung.
- We only cover mobile phones/gadgets that you use regularly – meaning if there is no recorded use of your gadget between the time you took the insurance and the time you made a claim; we won’t cover it.
- All our policies have a minimum term of 12 months. It is up to you if you choose to pay for your policy by monthly direct debit or as a one off annual payment.
- You need to be a permanent resident of the UK.
- You need to be over the age of 18. If you’re younger than this and still live with your parents, they might not mind purchasing the policy for you and then transferring it to your name when you turn 18.
What We’ll Cover
If your gadget is accidentally damaged, we’ll repair it. If it can’t be repaired, we’ll replace it with an identical gadget of the same age and condition or newer (depending on availability). If we’re not able to find a refurbished one, we’ll replace it with a new one.
Common mishaps which would come under this category are cracked screens and liquid damage.
Hopefully no-one will, but just in case someone intentionally damages your gadget, we’ll process it as an accidental damage claim (see above).
If your gadget is stolen, we will replace it.
If you own a mobile phone (including iPhones), a tablet (including iPads) or a smartwatch, you can select loss cover as an additional extra. That way, even if you lose your gadget, we’ll replace it.
This cover works like a warranty extension whereby, if your gadget stops working or malfunctions for no apparent reason outside of its warranty period, we’ll repair or replace it.
If your gadget is lost or stolen and it’s fraudulently used to make calls or use data, we’ll give you back the cost of that unauthorised use, up to a maximum of £2,500.
If your gadget is accidentally lost or stolen, we will refund the cost of unauthorised transactions made using your e-wallet facility up to a maximum of £500.
We’ll replace any accessories that were lost, stolen or damaged at the same time as your gadget, up to a maximum of £150.
While You’re Travelling
You’ll get the same level of cover when you’re abroad for up to 180 days in any year.
If something happens to your gadget whilst being used by your immediate family (ie. mother, father, son, daughter, spouse, domestic partner), we’ll repair or replace it. Sorry, but this doesn’t extend to your friends, extended family or housemates!
What We Won’t Cover
Accidental Damage Exclusions
Cosmetic Damage – scratches, stains or minor chips on the body. We’ll repair your gadget but we won’t restore it to new.
- Theft from inside a commercial vehicle. Say if, for example, you’re a taxi driver, this cover will not extend to covering you whilst you’re using your vehicle.
- Even though you’re covered for theft from a vehicle; if that vehicle is unattended, it must be locked and your gadget must be out of view in a closed, internal compartment. Think about it – leaving an unattended vehicle unlocked and with expensive items in plain view is just inviting opportunist thieves so it’s pretty obvious why we wouldn’t cover in such circumstances.
- Theft from a building or premises where there has been no forced entry will not be covered. So basically, if you left the property unsecured (such as not locking the door or leaving a window wide open) while you were out, you won’t be covered.
- If you’re away from home and you leave your gadget unattended, you won’t be covered. So for instance, if you’re in a bar or a restaurant and you leave it on the table while you pop to the loo; if it’s stolen during that time, you won’t be covered. It’s not unreasonable for us to expect you to take proper care of your gadgets, whether they’re insured or not.
- Unless you’re using it, you must keep your gadget in a concealed place, such as a pocket or bag. Thieves don’t see an iPhone on a restaurant table – they see £500 and there’s no way you’d leave that sort of cash just lying around. We advise you to treat your expensive gadgets as you would your money.
Accidental Loss Exclusions
If you select the option to cover your mobile phone, tablet or smartwatch for loss, you need to be aware that even though you’ve got the most extensive cover, at the time of making a claim if you’re unable to confirm the time and place you last saw your item, we won’t be able to cover it.
Mobile phones and gadgets are not designed to last forever, so general wear and tear such as scratches or faded keys are not something we’d cover for.
Other Things to be Aware of When Claiming
With Gadget Cover, you are allowed to make an unlimited number of claims.
As with most insurance policies, you will be required to pay an excess fee whenever you make a claim.
- For gadgets up to the value of £250 (when new,) the excess fee is £25 for all claims.
- For gadgets between the value of £251 - £500 (when new), the excess fee is £50 for all claims.
- For gadgets over the value of £500 (when new), the excess fee is £75 for all claims.
- For mobile phone claims you must report a theft or loss to your mobile operator (eg. Vodafone, EE, Orange, O2 etc) within 24 hours of the incident, so they can blacklist your handset.
- You must report the theft or loss of any gadget to the police within 48 hours and obtain a crime or loss reference number.
Replacements and Time Frames
We will replace your gadget with an identical gadget of the same age and condition eg. if we need to replace your 6 month old iPhone 5S, we will replace it with an iPhone 5S of the same age and condition. If we’re unable to get a refurbished model of comparable specification, we will replace it with a new one.
We aim to process your claim within 48 hours, but you can help to really speed up the process by making sure you have gone through the claims procedure properly and have all the required documentation arranged. You can forward us documents such as the EOO (evidence of ownership - network contract, invoice or any equivalente), at any time, which will be held on your records and used at claims stage.
No Claims Bonus
- If you don’t make a claim in the first year, you will be entitled to a discount of 25% of the excess fee if you subsequently make a claim.
- If you don’t make a claim in the first two years, you will be entitled to a discount of 50% off the excess fee if you subsequently make a claim.
- If you don’t make a claim in the first three years, you will be entitled to a discount of 75% off the excess fee if you subsequently make a claim.
- If you don’t make a claim in the first four years, your excess free will be entirely waived if you subsequently make a claim.
- This offer is still valid even if you replace the gadget you have on cover with a different one.
Renewing Your Insurance
We will contact you up to 30 days before the renewal date of your policy to let you know if there are any changes to your premium or your policy terms and conditions. Unless you tell us otherwise, we will then automatically renew your insurance using the same payment method or direct debit details used at the time of your initial purchase.
If any of your payment details have changed, please contact us. If you’d prefer for us not to auto renew your policy, let us know at least 7 working days before your renewal date by emailing at email@example.com or by calling us on 0203 794 9294. If you do nothing then your policy will automatically renew.
If you initially took out your policy on or after the 28th of the month, your annual renewal payment would be charged on the 28th of that month for each subsequent renewal. Please note that this excludes any payments made by Pay Pal, which will occur on the anniversary of the date you initially took out the policy.
Cancelling Your Insurance
If you want to cancel your insurance, you can do so by either writing to Supercover Insurance Ltd, Waterside House, Riverside Way, Uxbridge UB8 2YF, by telephoning on 0203 794 9294 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you pay your premium on a monthly basis and have made no claims, your policy will be cancelled at the next payment date. If you have made a claim, you will continue to pay the remaining annual premium.
If you pay your premium annually and have made no claims during that period, you will be entitled to a refund for the number of months remaining on your policy.
If you haven’t been able to find the answer to anything, please drop us an email to email@example.com or use the website’s live chat facility. We aim to reply to emails within 24 hours or, provided a customer representative is available, immediately via live chat.